The Mercedes Benz SLK 230 is roadster with style. A great car for the price at that time that could be enjoyed for a long time. The engine performance, body style, stability and suspension are superb!! The interior color choices are also great. The BOSE sound system is an audio fine achievement for this kind of car, specially with the roof down.
One of the cuttiest things or I will say the cuttiest is the hard roof top retraction. It is a Jawdroper when you stop in a red light and just pop down your hardtop into the trunk.
The mechanical point of view for this car is great, also. There is plenty of room under the hood for maintenance and overall inspection of the engine and components.
There are some issues that should be aware of this car, if you consider to buy it.
1. The interior are very very fragile. Everything that could cause a even a lightly scratch should be avoided. The panels (glove box, center console, side panels, etc.) are factory painted!! I replaced all my panels once to give life back my interiors. There is also a much economic way to do this and it is to paint them again.
2. A lot of squeaking noises of the seats against the back and floor console. On uneven pavement this may occur also.
3. The hydraulic roof top system is very delicate. If not used for a long time (let's say around 2 months) it could give you leking problems.
4. The vacuum pump in the trunk which governs the door lock system, when rains it could be damaged and caused to shutdown the central locking system.
5. Finally the fuel sending unit has several issues of not giving you a real fuel level of gas on your car.
Despise all this the SLK 230 is a rodster with style to be, in the future, a real classic car!!!